MRKT20052 Marketing Audit
Term 3 2022
Assessment 2: Marketing Audit
Weight: 40% (written report 30% + presentation 10%)
Length: 2000 words (maximum)
Week due: Week 9
Due date and time: 20th January (Friday) 5:00PM AEST
Assessment 2 requires students to work in groups of four on a selected company (Bonds https://www.bonds.com.au) in order to prepare a comprehensive marketing audit for the company. The aim of this assessment is to conduct a systematic, comprehensive and objective analysis of the marketing activities undertaken by the chosen company. In addition, you are also required to provide at least three (3) recommendations for the company. The marketing audit report should be no more than 2000 words in length excluding the executive summary, table of contents, tables, charts/graphs, the reference list and appendices. The written report is worth 30%. Groups are required to present only the comprehensive executive summary during tutorial classes in weeks 10 and 11. The presentation is worth 10% and should comprise of 5 slides plus the title slide and be no longer than 5 minutes in duration.
Your assessment should show an application of relevant marketing concepts, theories, and analytic tools learnt in the unit. The mark for this assessment will depend primarily on presenting appropriate and supporting evidence and on the ability to critically write and present the marketing audit report. You are strongly encouraged to use the Academic Learning Centre (ALC) facilities to assist you in preparing professional report and presentation.
Changing groups without informing the teaching team members will result in substantial delay and erroneous mark allocation to group members. A penalty of 10% will be applied to students who change groups without notifying the teaching team. This is inline with the Assessment Policy and Procedure 4.11 section f) which clearly states assessment specifications (maximum length, presentation format, etc.) and any penalties for not complying with the specifications.
- The presentation of the comprehensive executive summary will require students to discuss an overview of the following sections of the marketing audit:
- Situation analysis;
- Segmentation, targeting and positioning (STP);
- Analysis of the marketing mix strategy used by the company; and
- It is recommended that the first student within the group present the situation analysis section, the second student in the group present the STP, the third student present the marketing mix strategy section and the fourth student present the recommendations. Please note that the presentation must end with the recommendation section. The flow of the presentation should follow the structure below:
- Each group will have maximum of 5 minutes to present with a maximum of 5 slides (excluding the title slide). It is up to each group to rehearse and manage the time limit for the presentation. Remember to cover only the main points of the report and not everything that is in the written report. The markers will stop the presentation at 5 minutes even if the group has not completed the entire presentation.
- The same mark will be applied to all group members.
- For on-campus students, your presentations will start in Week 10 and is expected that all groups are ready to present in week 10.
- For all students: if you are unable to attend a class/Zoom session and do not let your lecturer/Unit Coordinator know in advance or do not have a medical certificate or a sufficient reason why you were not present, you will receive a zero mark for your presentation.
The preparation for this assessment involves extensive research and each group will need to start working on this assessment as early as possible. Both the marketing audit report and the associated PowerPoint slides will need to be uploaded in Moodle under the “Assessment 2” submission link by the due date.
Any assessment with a ‘Turnitin’ score of more than 25% will be checked by the marker and unit coordinator for potential plagiarism issues although it may not necessarily mean that you have plagiarised. If there is a substantial similarity score in the ‘Turnitin’ report, your assessment could be forwarded to an appropriate office/authority.
- Executive summary (3%)
- Introduction to the report (2%)
- Situation analysis (20%)
- Discussion of segmentation, targeting and positioning (STP) (20%)
- Marketing mix strategy used by the company and recommendation (40%)
- Mechanics (report format and writing style) (3%)
- Presentation (10%)
- Referencing format (2%)
See Moodle for the detailed marking rubric for assessment 2.
Penalties apply for exceeding word limit (1% mark deduction will be applied for every 100 words over the allowed 2000 words limit).
Penalties apply for late submission (5% mark deduction will be applied per day unless an approved extension has been granted).
Submission checklist for Assessment 2:
- Cover page with all group members’ names and IDs (use the cover page provided in Moodle);
- 1.5 line spacing and 12 size font in Times New Roman;
- Word length is no more than 2000 words for the written report;
- The written report should be submitted in .doc or .docx format; and
- The PowerPoint presentation should be submitted in .ppt or .pptx format.
Suggested report format for Assessment 2
- Title page with all group member names and student IDs
- Use the cover page provided in Moodle
- Executive Summary (maximum length is one page)
- Should provide a comprehensive overview of the main points of the marketing audit report.
- Table of Contents
- Provide a succinct introduction to the report. What is the purpose of preparing this marketing audit report?
- Situation Analysis
- Company analysis;
- PESTEL analysis;
- Competitive analysis;
- Customer analysis; and
- SWOT and TOWS analysis.
- Discussion of segmentation, targeting and positioning (STP)
- What segmentation technique(s) is(are) used by the company?
- Which target market(s) has(have) been chosen by the company?
- How has the company positioned its products or services for the target market?
- Marketing Mix Audit
- What is the company’s product portfolio?
- What is the brand strategy used by the company?
- What pricing strategies and techniques are used by the company? Why?
- Distribution (place);
- What are the distributional channels used by the company? Why?
- What are the promotional strategies undertaken by the company?
- What are the promotional channels used by the company? Why?
- Given the discussions, above, provide at least three (3) recommendations that the company can undertake.
- A succinct summary statement of the key takeaway message from the audit report is presented.
- At least 10 (ten) academic references are needed for this assessment. This can be a combination of textbooks and academic journal articles. Trade magazines, websites, blogs, etc. will not be counted as part of the required 10 academic references.
- Both the in-text citations and the reference list should follow the APA style.
- Appendices (if any)
- Need to be clearly labelled; and
- Need to be referred to in the main body of the marketing audit.
Note that the word count applies from sections 4 through to 9.