Part 1: Paper on the Trends in IT
Assignment #1 -Part 1: Paper on the Trends in IT
Individual Assignment Due: See Course Syllabus
Upload: To Turnitin in Week 3.
Mark: 100 (Weighted at 15%)
This group research paper explores the current trends in Information Technology that benefits business, its impacts to society, and the expected return on investment.
The paper will contain the following:
- Identify 10 trends in Information Technology
- For each trend:
- Summary explanation of what is the Information Technology trend with appropriate images where possible.
- Which industry or industries would use the trend?
- Select one organization within the identified industry and explain how that organization would use the trend within.
- What are the benefits to the organization in terms of value, margin, customer growth or others?
- What are the ethical or social issues related to the trend?
- What is the expected investment in order to participate in the trend and the expected Return on Investment (ROI) for the organization from the trend? Find or estimate some actual financial values.
- Complete the Pyramid for Enterprise Design – Identify and explain each level – hardware needed, software needed, Application needed, data collected, dashboards or KPIs, what kind of business decision would be made using the data.
- Relate the IT Trend to Porter’s Value Chain. Explain the impact of the trend on Primary Activities, The Support Activities, and the Margin.
- Before the conclusion, the author will make a persuasive argument as to which of the 10 trends in the paper one feels is the more important for a business given what one knows of the trend and its pros and cons.
- APA 7th Edition format for the paper. Title page, Table of Contents, Reference page.
- No Abstract required.
- For the persuasive personal opinion, the author can use “I” as set out in APA 7th edition.
- This paper must be written as a research essay paper.
- Support your answers with research from academic and relevant industry sources.
- Introduction – please follow the best practice as set out here.
- Conclusion – please follow the best practice as set out here:
- The paper must flow some logical flow. Use of headers are required.
- The paper will be marked on the rubrics shown below. Ensure your paper follows the rubrics.
- The paper should not exceed 9,000 words (not including the title page or reference page).
There is no minimum word count. The key is whether the paper thoroughly answers the questions above. Precise and concise writing is recommended. Consider using tables and charts in the paper.
- Ensure the paper has its mechanics and grammar checked through Grammarly.
- Turnitin score of less than 5% is required. Turnitin does not count quoted material, title page, or reference page. Turnitin score only refers to the body of the assignment.
- A minimum 5 academic references via the UCW library and 6 non-academic references (minimum total 11). Sites such as Panmore, UKEsssay, Scribble, Coursehero, Chegg, and Wikipedia will not be allowed. Use of other student’s paper from any other institution as a
reference will not be accepted. Links must be provided for all digitally accessed documents. The links and reference information must access the page being referenced otherwise it will not count as a site used.
- A well written paper is one where the paper teaches the reader about the topic. Do not assume that the reader understands your topic or will fill in the blanks of information. Marks are given for what is written not what you planned to write or what is inferred from the writing. Be clear, succinct, with specific examples, researched support, and use of simple business English.
- Your instructor offers to review the paper – some paragraphs or the whole paper – and provide feedback and guidance. Submit the paper via email no later than Apr 24th by 11:59pm. The instructor will reply within 48 hours (depending on the number of papers). Any papers submitted after that date will not get any feedback.
- Turnitin is setup to allow you to test the similarity of your paper. You can test the paper once every 24 hours before the due date and time.
|Subject Matter (50%)||Subject Matter (50%)|
|Each trend is worth 5%Key elements of assignments are coveredContent is comprehensive, accurate, persuasiveDisplays an understanding of relevant theoryMajor points supported by specific referencesResearch is adequate/timely and citations are academically valid.||50|
|Organization (20%)||Organization (20%)|
|The introduction provides a sufficient background on the topic and previews major pointsCentral theme/purpose is immediately clearStructure is clear, logical, and easy to follow with proper headingsSubsequent sections develop/support the central themeThe conclusion follow logically from the body of the paper||20|
|Style/Mechanics (30%)||Style/Mechanics (30%)|
|APA 7th (10%) Title page is present and properly formatted – separate pageReference page is present and properly formatted – separate page Citations/reference page follow APA guidelines||10|
|Grammar/Punctuation/Spelling (10%) GrammarSpellingPunctuation||10|
|Readability/Style (10%) Sentences are complete, clear, and conciseSentences are well-constructed with consistently strong, varied structureTransitions between sentences/paragraphs/sections help maintain the flow of thoughtWords used are precise and unambiguousThe tone is appropriate to the audience, content, and assignment||10|
|Grade on 100||Subtotal||100|
Assignment #1 – Part 2: Video on Trends in IT
Upload: To Week 4 “Assignment #1 – Part 2”.
Mark: 100 (Weighted 5%)
Due: See Course Syllabus
In Part 1 of this assignment a detailed paper was written on the 10 IT Trends. You will make a maximum 15-minute presentation that discusses all 10 trends and your personal opinion as to which of the 10 trends discussed is the most important.
- This is an individual presentation.
- The video can use any technology to convey the message. This is a cohesive video. Google “Powerpoint to MP4” to create a video. Do not send a PPTX where the instructor has to click on each slide.
- Using material from the paper only.
- You must be in the video. If privacy is a concern, please use a virtual background. Audio only presentation will not be accepted.
- The video must be at least 10 minutes but not more than 15 minutes in length. Presentation less than 10 minutes will get an automatic zero. Any material over 15 minutes will be ignored and marks can be lost.
- The one-page paper must also include a time index of each key part of the presentation and the link to the presentation.
- The video presentation needs a title, agenda slide, introduction, conclusion, and APA slide.
- Use appropriate in-slide APA as needed. See the link for more information: https://hallmark.libguides.com/c.php?g=984470&p=7824531
- Follow presentation best practices. Please watch these links: https://hbr.org/2013/06/how-to-give-a- killer-presentation and https://virtualspeech.com/blog/designing-presentation-slides. I will be looking for your presentation to demonstrate these best practices.
- Upload your document with the time index and link to the video into Week 4 under “Assignment #1 – Part
Subject Matter: 55
-The video covers all 10 IT trends found in the paper.
-The video provides a clear overview of the technology, the benefits, the values, the ethical concerns, investment costs and ROI.
-The video provides a section on what you think is the most important of the 10 IT Trends and why.
- The video flow with some logical flow.
- The flow weaves a story for the audience.
- The time index sheet provided match the video timing
-Grammar/Spelling/Punctation – zero mistakes
-Follows presentation best practices
-Creativity – what technology was used and how it contributes to the persuasive argument
-Video is clear and focused, Audio is clear and rate of speech is acceptable.
Time Index: 5
-Time Index is provided and matches the video